Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wow...it's true


You know how they tell you that each time you read the Book of Mormon, different verses stick out more because of something that might be happening in your life, or learning more, or perhaps just actually really reading the words! Haha. How true this is. This morning I was able to witness this. So this morning as I was reading in Alma chapter 51 about the kingsmen wanting a king rather than a free government, and how the Lamanites planned to go to war with the Nephites, and the kingsmen would not fight so Moroni decided it was time to knock these prideful, noble-blooded men off their highhorse and stand with their fellow men and fight. Verses 17-19 really stuck out to me and it really surprised me that it had not been highlited, and I realized that I must not have understood the impact of the meaning behing the verse with the previous times I had read it, "And it came to pass that Moroni commanded that his army should go against those king-men, to pull down their pride and their nobility and level them with the earth, or they should take up arms and support the cause of liberty. And it came to pass that the armies did march forth against them; and they did pull down their pride and their nobility, insomuch that as they did lift their weapons of war to fight against the men of Moroni they were hewn down and leveled to the earth. And it came to pass that there were four thousand of those dissenters who were hewn down by the sword; and those of their leaders who were not slain in battle were taken and cast into prison, for there was no time for their trials at this period." The last sentence is what really hit me. Now I know that when it says "trials" it is talking about a court type situation, but when I first read it, I read the word "trials" as their problems- pride, lack of humility, hard-headed. And interpreted this verse as saying that when there is a cause, a time to serve on a mission perhaps, the Lord and His servants have no time for our "trials," I need to prepare myself now and push those trials behind me, no, not push them behind me, but to overcome them and destroy them. I need to step up and fight for the Lord's cause and not let myself doubt my capability because of my trials. Wow, well I could be totally off on the meaning of that scripture, but I learned a lot from it :) BME- Best Missionary Ever baby, best missionary I can be.

No comments: